What inspired you to start Indie Lee?
I was inspired to start Indie Lee after I survived a nearly-fatal brain tumor in 2009. My doctor told me it was most likely environmentally derived, which I had a hard time understanding. I thought I was super healthy, but they said it could have been the result of something as simple as what I was putting on my body, which wasn’t anything that had crossed my mind. That conversation with my doctor turned into a huge wake-up call for me. The choices we make can have a huge impact on our health! We have the power the make more informed choices for our own well-being. That’s what prompted me to start Indie Lee.
What had been the biggest challenge to starting your own line?
It might sound cliche, but time management and balance. When you truly love and are passionate about what you do, it doesn’t feel like work. The downside to that is that it becomes hard to step away without feeling guilty.
What are your five favorite green beauty products at the moment?
- Coconut Citrus Body Scrub – We just brought this back for summer and it’s my absolute favorite! It gently exfoliates with sugar cane and then moisturizes with jojoba. And it has citrus essences so it smells absolutely divine. I use it in the shower before shaving.
- CoQ-10 Toner – This is another one of my summertime favorites! It’s packed with key nutrients and antioxidants and will balance and refresh skin. I apply it after washing my face or I’ll pour it into a spritzer and throw it in my beach bag to cool off on a hot summer day.
- Aromaflage – I’m happiest when I’m out enjoying nature whether it’s my greenhouse or a walk on the beach; unfortunately, I’m also bug magnet, if there is a mosquito in a 5 mile radius it will find me. Enter my life saver: Aromaflage – this 100% natural fragrance also doubles as a powerful bug repellants. Aromaflage is DEET, chemical and paraben free…I even have a candle for dining al fresco.
- ILIA Lip Crayons – What better way to brighten than with a pop of color? I love a great lip crayon – like this one in 99 Red Balloons – especially when they are made with natural moisturizers and nutrients that are actually good to apply!
- Invisibobble – Spring and summer are all about laid back looks for me. Most warm days I pull my hair up in a loose top knot. These traceless hair rings make is so easy – and they are eco-friendly. The best part about them is that when I’m ready to go out, I can simply let my hair down for incredible volume.
What is your favorite beauty tip?
Mix a drop of Squalane Facial Oil in with your foundation for a gorgeous, dewy glow. Then, add a bit of dark mascara and a dab of cream blush and lipstick and voila – you have the perfect natural summer look.
Whats next for Indie Lee?
We’re working on expanding to more stores (and internationally!) and might have a few products up our sleeves to show you soon!