We asked green beauty expert and makeup artist Paige Padgett to share her top five green beauty tips.
1) Consider your beauty routine a diet. Sixty percent of any substance you put on your body goes in your body. You should consider your chemicals in your cosmetics as you would in your food.
2) Don’t get hung up on buzz words like “natural” and “organic” they don’t mean anything and are not regulated. Brands use these words to draw you in but in reality only a few ingredients that are are natural or organic. You have to read labels.
3) Avoid the “Three P’s” Paraben’s, Perfume (fragrance/phthalates) and Petrochemicals. These are the biggest offenders. Parabens aren’t the most toxic but because they are in 99% of products they should be avoided. Fragrance may have hundreds of hidden chemicals many of them are considered toxic. Petrochemicals are linked to a myriad of health risks.
4) Look up your products on the EWG Skin Deep Cosmetic Database. They have over 60,000 products in the database. It’s a great resource to see how clean your products are and to find non-toxic products.
5) Use the 80/20 Rule to green your beauty routine. It will be easier and allow you to incorporate some of your favorite products.
Finally, get The Green Beauty Rules for over 200 non-toxic product recommendation, a guide to greening your beauty routine and tips and tricks from a makeup pro!