Body Brushing has been around for centuries the basic concept is to use a coarse dry brush to brush the skin in a pattern. This is a great cheep, easy and effective way to promote healthy skin.
It’s best to body brush daily, a great habit to get into is doing this before you get into the shower. The brush and your skin needs to be dry hence dry brushing.
Benefits of Body Brushing:
- Stimulate lymphatic system and help body get rid of toxins
- Increase circulation
- Removes dead skin layer
- Helps remove cellulite
- Strengthens immune system.
- Tighter skin, cell renewal, and blood flow
- Aids in digestion and kidney function
- Helps preventing stretch marks
How to Body Brush:
Try to do this in the morning because it does tend to energize you.
Use a natural bristle brush on dry skin.
You want to brush toward your heart
Long firm strokes with your dry brush. As a variant you can try circular strokes on your knees, thighs and bottom.
Brush each area several times.
Start with feet, move up legs front to back, both sides. I like to take some extra time on the cellulite prone areas.
Then brush your abdomen up to your chest ( be gentle on the breast area)
For your arms, start with your hands and brush toward the body.
On your back brush to your shoulder blades ( the long handle brush works great for this).
Then down your neck to your shoulders.
Should take 5 minutes or so.
Rinse off in the shower, some people like to turn the water from hot to cold in three cycles to further stimulate skin.
Pat skin dry and apply your favorite moisturizer or oil, coconut oil works great.
Don’t brush to hard, skin should be invigorated and stimulated not irritated or red.
- Avoid sensitive areas and broken skin.
- For extra sensitive you can use a loofa instead of the brush.
- Use softer strokes and less pressure where skin is thinner and more pressure where its tougher.If feeling sick with a cold/flu increase your bushing time maybe even twice a day to help boost immunity.
- Stop brushing if an allergic reaction appears.
- Avoid brushing if in an active cancer state.
Here are some great video tips by Green Beauty Expert Sophie Uliano on Body Brushing:
How to care for your brush:
Wash your brush with soap and water once a week. Pad the bristles into a towel to remove excess water then dry your brush in an open sunny spot if you can to prevent mildew with bristles facing downward.
Best Brush’s to buy:
With its cactus fibers its the firmist type if brissles used by professionals, it is a great and affortable effective product also vegan. Ethically sourced brush, made from Forest Stewardship Council certified sustainable beechwood. $15, buy it here.
Ethically harvested jute fiber brush designed to slough off dry dead skin. $32, buy it here.
Works good for sensitive skin, made from Japanese palm fiber so its vegan. $7.83, amazon.com